“Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel”
Education at middle level, roughly spanning ages between 11-13 years is vital as the children are approaching the age to maturity. Being a teenager, children in this age group are typically excited and have tendency to experiment with different things.
As they move from class 6 to class 8, most of the children expect freedom and anticipate respect even from elders and they understand and appreciate irony and adult wit.
They need true guidance and strong monitoring to channelize their competencies in right direction as they are often found rampant in bickering and tattling. We need to coax them to take responsibility for their own learning and be self motivated.
English, Maths, Science & Technology, Social studies, Computer Science, General Knowledge, Hindi and Sanskrit are the major subjects covered at this level. Practical in Science & Technology, Maths and Computer Science are given due weightage.
Approaches Used at SKS
SKS relentlessly work on range of Instructional modes to satisfy learners with different learning styles and differences in the degree of intelligences and interests.
- SKS being a strong believer of write it – say it –and do it the School provides several Hands on activities for children.
- ICT incorporated in lessons of almost all the subjects using smart/digital class rooms.
- Reciprocal teaching where students are asked to teach what they have learned to others in a group or the class as a whole to foster self confidence and develop I can do attitude.
- Encouraging students to develop questioner and problems based on learning outcomes of a particular lesson.
- Demonstrations to show what a successful performance looks like.
- Creating a genuine platform for read to think in student’s perspective and writes to learn formally or informally to discover what they know.
- Think pair and think group activities to create a culture of thinking in the class room that foster critical thinking and creative thinking skills.
- Individual and group projects which can help develop a host of skills that are increasingly important in the professional world.
- Structured and purposeful focused group discussions. It provides information about other student’s opinions and feelings concerning the topic and also to gain insight into their reasons for those opinions.
- Compulsory practical activities in Science and maths, that promotes engagement and interest of students. Practical activities also foster student’s observation, analytical, reasoning and manipulative skills.
- ACDC (Advance Concept Development Course):
In order to diminish heterogeneity of the classroom with varying interests and profiles of children and channelizing their extra potential in a right direction, and to satisfy the curiosity of questioning and aspiring minds with higher cognitive levels, SKS introduced Advance Concept Development Course (ACDC), a superior and productive approach to channelize their extra potentials of screened students.
* Please visit the link ACDC for further details.